Thursday, March 15, 2007

Love and Happiness

Love and Happiness played on my iPod yesterday. As I was listening to the lyrics I was thinking about how true they ring. You can see all of them here, but I’m talking about these ones specifically:

And they’re tearing down walls
In the name of peace
And they’re killing each other
In the Middle East

They raise the price of oil
And they censor our mouths
If you are a young couple today
Forget buying a house
And we wage our wars
In the neighborhoods
We kill the young to feed the old
And man that ain’t no good

So you’re thinking, yep that’s pretty much the way things are today. But you know what? John Mellencamp released this song in 1991. That’s right, 16 years ago. Shouldn’t that stuff be ancient history by now?

Not only have we made no progress in the last 16 years, we haven’t even been able to maintain the status quo, things have gotten even worse.

All of this hit me as I was listening to this song and I was just shaking my head and thinking, what the hell kind of world are we living in?

No comments: