Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Flaws of Kong

I finally got around to seeing Peter Jackson’s remake of “King Kong”. Overall, I enjoyed the film, most of the special effects were dazzling, but there were a couple of scenes that just looked a little too hokey to me, the “Brontosaurus Run” for example. Andy Serkis was amazing again, this time, for all intents and purposes, becoming a gorilla.

It is an admirable remake with more depth, Jackson stayed true to the original 1933 version right down to its flaws. To me there were 3 major flaws in this story, there are actually many more than that, but there are 3 big ones that stand out to me.

The first one is; how did they get a 25 foot, who knows how many tons, giant gorilla onto that ship? The answer is, I don’t know, and neither does anyone else, because they never showed it. In both versions of the movie it skips right over that scene, going from the scene where Kong is subdued on Skull Island, right back to New York and the opening night of the show.

Sure the argument can be made that it was skipped over for time constraints, but I think it’s fairly important to the story. If you’re not going to show me how they did it, then at least tell me at some point.

I mentioned something similar in this entry, watching a fantasy movie like this, you have to have a certain amount of suspension of disbelief, but for me, that suspension can only go so far.

If you want to tell me that somewhere on this earth there is an island inhabited by giant insects and rodents, prehistoric creatures, a 25 foot gorilla, and a bunch of savage natives who worship it, I’m down with that. You don’t have to do much talking to convince me that it’s out there. But if you’re going to tell me that a bunch of sailors, a movie producer, and an actor in the 1930’s, somehow managed to pick up that gorilla and put it onto the ship, I’m sorry, but I’m gonna need some proof. Like I said, if you’re not going to show me how it was done, then you at least have to tell me.

The second flaw to me is this: its night time and the Broadway show starring Kong is beginning. The actual start time of the show is not noted, but I’m assuming that it has to be sometime around 8 or 9 pm. About twenty minutes into the show, Kong breaks free and goes on his rampage in Manhattan. Approximately a half an hour later he climbs the Empire State Building.

About an hour elapses from the time the Broadway show begins to the time that Kong gets to the top of the Empire State Building. It doesn’t seem to me that they are implying that any more time than this goes by, yet Kong and Darrow watch the sun rise together from the top of the building. Soon after that it is full daylight when the bi-planes arrive and begin to attack. What did I miss here? By my estimations this movie went from 8-9 pm to 5-6 am in the span of an hour. Can someone please explain that one to me?

The third and final flaw to me is the most egregious. A bunch of people discover an island inhabited by giant insects and rodents, prehistoric creatures, and a 25 foot gorilla. They manage to capture the gorilla and bring it back to the states. The reason for this would seem to be greed, at least in Carl Denham’s case, as it is all about the fame and fortune for him. It is never really stated why the rest of them agreed to it, but it is assumed that it was for the money as well.

This is all well and good, bringing a giant gorilla back to the states and putting it on display for the entire world to see is certainly going to be a money maker. But here’s what I don’t get, why the hell didn’t any of them tell anyone else about this island? Denham tells a story about how they found Kong on an island, subdued him, and brought him back, but he never makes any mention at all about what else occupied the island. Didn’t it occur to any of them that people are going to want to know about this place? If they were motivated by money, I have to believe that someone would have been willing to pay them big bucks for the location of Skull Island and the existence of its other occupants.

It couldn’t have been that they were afraid that no one would believe them; after all, they just brought a 25 foot gorilla back from the place. That right there should be enough to convince someone to go check it out. What have they got to lose? Even if no one is willing to give them any money until after they see it for themselves, the worst case scenario is that they never get paid, but by not telling anyone, they guarantee that they never make any money from it.

And that’s assuming that greed is the only motivation. I have to think that at least one of the other people on that ship is going to think that it’s probably a good idea to let people know that this place exists, regardless of whether or not he can make any money from it. I think that I would have anyway.

No comments: